There is a fair bit of algebraic geometry at Stanford, and as some of it is in somewhat unexpected places, this page is intended to point out where it is.
We have an algebraic geometry mailing list, where news will be sporadically sent. To see how to join, click here.
We have an active algebraic geometry seminar at Stanford (with an accompanying seminar lunch) and a student algebraic geometry seminar (organized in fall 2016 by Francois Greer). Both meet weekly. For other related seminars, click here.
We are one of the founders of the Western Algebraic Geometry Symposium, a twice-yearly conference rotating around the western U.S. and Canada. We hosted the first regular WAGS in spring 2003, and hosted the spring 2011 WAGS.
There are a good number of smart graduate students around who think about algebraic geometry (often in combination with something else) and are interesting to talk with, including the following.
- Gurbir Dillon
- Tony Feng
- Francois Greer
- Aaron Landesman
- Ben Lim
- Ben Ljundberg
- Alessandro Masullo
- Donghai Pan
- Zev Rosengarten
- Michael Savvas
- Jesse Silliman
- Caitlin Stanton
- Abby Ward
Faculty with related interests
Besides Jun Li, Michael Kemeny, and Ravi Vakil, there are a large number of people for algebraic geometers to talk with. Some of them may be shocked to find they are on such a list. In alphabetical order (with some algebro-geometric-related interests):
- Greg Brumfiel (topology and real algebraic geometry)
- Dan Bump (arithmetic geometry and automorphic forms)
- Gunnar Carlsson (etale homotopy theory)
- Tom Church (a topologist with many interests in algebraic geometry)
- Ralph Cohen (moduli spaces of curves)
- Brian Conrad (number theory and arithmetic geometry)
- Persi Diaconis (combinatorics, toric varieties, and more)
- Yasha Eliashberg (symplectic geometry, e.g. Gromov-Witten theory)
- Soren Galatius (moduli space of curves)
- Eleny Ionel (moduli of curves and Gromov-Witten theory, from the point of view of symplectic geometry)
- Rafe Mazzeo (analysis on singular spaces)
- Maryam Mirzakhani (moduli space of curves, hyperbolic geometry)
- Andras Vasy (analysis on singular spaces)
Others who have been here in the last little while: Aleksey Zinger, Dragos Oprea, Alina Marian, Sam Payne, Matt Kahle, Daniel Erman, Christian Liedtke, Dimitri Zvonkine, Melanie Matchett Wood, Young-Hoon Kiem, Zhiyuan Li, Zhiwei Yun, Yefeng Shen.
(I update these lists sporadically and randomly, so please remind me if anyone I have yet to add.)